- Craft sales, exhibition & demonstrations at Kompleks Kraf Kuala Lumpur (popularly known as Kraftangan, Conlay). The crafts here are traditional Malay & indigenous crafts such as wood carving, songket cloth, batik, silver & ceramics.
From the list of activities & size of the participation, I gather that it is much like a trade fair and educational event. So, much to see, to learn, to understand.
Kak Yong (one of our long time ACG member) got her break when she heard & signed up for the Machine Embroidery course conducted at one of numerous Kraftangan centres nationwide. being creative, but with no funds to pursue an art course, she was taught embroidery using the sewing machine, guiding it & making lovely patterns much like lacework, locally called 'kerawang' which you see on most kebaya's (a Nyonya ladies costume). http://ekakyongsulam.blogspot.com/
Sometimes, we get jaded. Malaysian craft? batik, songket.. we see that everywhere. BUT hold on, .. all these years, Kraftangan (the governing body) has been active up-grading, promoting & giving opportunities to serious crafters (with good, marketable & sustainable products) like advise, contacts, even overseas trips,.. just got to go there & network & find out!
So, although it is a month long event, don't wait till the last day when all products will be down to the barest. Participants would be worn down.. (ha ha.. do take care guys in this hot weather!) So be the early bird !
24 FEB- 8 MAR 10am - 8pm (Sun - Thu), 10am - 10pm (Fri - Sat)
Free shuttle (van) from Kraftangan showroom at Masjid Jamek to Conlay (somewhere between Bkt Bintang & KLCC). 10.30am, 1pm. 3.30pm, 6.30pm.
OR drive & park there
OR get on the Hop on-Hop off buses - remember to tell them you're Malaysian - special rate lah! Then use this time to see KL like a tourist. Pay one time to the bus driver, keep the ticket & go up & down as many Hop on buses as you like. It'll pass by all the landmarks, National Art Gallery, Istana Budaya, Lake Gardens (where you can find peace & tranquility, maybe even inspiration in its sprawling Hibiscus Garden, Orchid Garden, Deer Park with Koi fishes, Butterfly park, Bird Park,... & of course Kraft Kompleks @ Conlay. Some of its double decker buses have open air rooftop. Great experience for the whole family! Sorry -- promo for Cuti-cuti Malaysia ..Ha ha
* CRAFT SALES- ACG members participating -
--- Terusi Galeri (Fauzi Tahir) is at Booth DS70. Check out his new collection of ceramic pendants & sculptures
--- Gerai OA (Reita Rahim) is at Booth AA013 - items from indigenous people from 23 villages ALL OVER MALAYSIA. All sales made goes back to them. This stall is manned by volunteers.
Yes, they do go deep into the jungle, muddy roads, no roads.., braving all kinds of weather, creepy crawlies, long, jerky, bumpy bus rides.. All these is done to help the less privileged, marginalised people. Luckily with the Net, they now have a presence on cyber space through the efforts of social entrepreneurs http://elevyn.com/shop/geraioa
- New craft products (from traditional beginnings)
- Corporate Gift products
- Traditional musical instruments
- Craft technology for better quality & productivity
* MEETING THE BUYERS - IBM - In-coming Buying Mission
* CRAFT ENTREPRENEUR SERVICE counter - find out the business side of selling crafts, get advise & information/contacts, where to get funding/ craft loans (check BSN - Bank Simpanan National) for expanding your business, how to make a working paper to apply..
* CRAFT DESIGN WORKSHOPS
* DESIGN CENTRE ACTIVITIES
* DEMONSTRATIONS - of crafts, not ideology ;)
- Making of International Craft products (learn what is the export standard required)
- Making of Musical Instruments
- Making of Traditional sweets & cookies
* INTERACTIVE craft activities
* GROUP GUIDED TOUR (pls call ahead to book)
* CULTURAL PERFORMANCES
BUT DON'T BE FOOLED! Kraftangan @ Conlay, does not only promote traditional crafts, they also house AN ARTISTS' COMMUNITY. Drop by & say hello to Malaysian artists like Harris Ribut (famous for his lovely fat ladies in sarong) and see their works & work in progress! Nice people there..
ALSO CRAFT SALES & DEMONSTRATIONS CAN BE FOUND AT:
SHOPPING CENTRES: 9-24 MARCH 10AM-10PM
- Alpha Angle (Jaya Jusco) Wangsa Maju - near Wangsa Maju LRT stn
- Great Eastern Mall (much further up from KLCC), near Jelatek LRT stan but quite a distance to walk. Take a cab from the main road. OR take ride to Ampang Lrt ( last station) & take a bus down, pass by Ampang Point
- Central Market KL.stop at Pasar Seni Lrt stn & cross the road. Also houses Annexe Gallery where the ART FOR GRABS (all art below RM100) will be hel don 6th & 7th March. This is where the arty & crafty gather. Lots of contemporary/hip/chic craft/art items. Check out: http://www.annexegallery.com/
HOTELS: 13-24 MARCH 9AM-7PM
JW Marriott KL
Prince Hotel & Residence KL
Istana Hotel KL
Hilton Petaling Jaya
The Royale Chulan KL
Grand Season Hotel KL
Best Western Premier Seri Pacific KL
PERBADANAN KEMAJUAN KRAFTANGAN MALAYSIA
KOMPLEKS KRAF KUALA LUMPUR, JALAN CONLAY, 50450 KUALA LUMPUR
TEL: 03-2162 7459 / 2161 1480 FAX: 03-2161 1501