Outline for creating an art/craft/design work :
- INTENTION - what is the artist / crafter's intention, objective?
- CONCEPT - an overall plan - what style, media, emotive element, subject?
- IDEA - research the subject, what inspiration source?
- VISUAL - what motifs, colour scheme, materials, techniques would best convey your concept?
- PRACTICAL - plan the execution - eg. for textile art : source for materials & tools -> select colours - paints, threads, base fabric -> prepare / wash base fabric -> compose your picture -> trace / draw / sew -> paint / embroider / embellish
We talked about creating a MOTIF? What is a motif?
A Motif is a recurring element in any design. It comprises of colours, shapes, lines, etc.
Some of the basic styles :
We were also introduced to motifs in Batik. The process of translating an actual leaf into various motifs is called 'merengga'.
Then Siti took over with hands-on methods of developing a design from photographs. Participants were told to bring enlarged photocopies of leaves / tree barks / branches.
They learned how to CROP, SIMPLIFY & MODIFY to develop their own designs :
Unfortunately, that's all the time we had that day. So the DISCHARGE PRINTING section had to be re-scheduled for SUNDAY 31 JULY 2010, 10am. Anyone wanna join us, details at the sidebar (right side of this blog =>)