How we started...In the late 1980's a few passionate expatriate ladies and local artists came together to form an art and craft group, as they wanted a place to meet and exchange ideas, encourage each other and hold bi-annual exhibitions of their work. These initial coffee morning gatherings became more organized and was officially registered with the Registrar of Societies on 30 October 1993, giving birth to The Arts & Crafts Guild, KL & Selangor, in Malaysia.
Membership is open to anyone above 18 years old, the only pre-requisite being the love of any form of arts (be it visual & performing arts) or crafts. Over the past 14 years, our members have ranged from established artists, art graduates, self-taught artists to occasional artists (those with other careers-professionals, homemakers), hobbyists, crafters and those with a general interest in arts & crafts.
The uniqueness of our guild - for An Appreciation of the Arts is Everyone's Right! One need not necessarily be good at drawing to appreciate the beauty of a painting or the skill of a craftsman.
Our Aims & Objectives
- Promote awareness of the arts & crafts among the public
- Inspire, encourage and create a stimulating environment for members to further their artistic interests through interaction with other members and exchanging of ideas & skills
- Help members gain exposure for themselves and their work, through exhibitions and contacts made during the exhibition
- Encourage exchange of new ideas and skill among members
- As a resource centre, providing information about art supplies, workshops, galleries, art & craft techniques